Wednesday 17 February 2010

no power for pancake party


The plan was to take the kids swimming and then drive the 3 miles to Peter's Pancake party.

The swimming bit, really did go swimmingly. Pleaaaase is getting so much better at going under water and Mischief just can't get enough of splashing about in the water!

After swimming I noticed this little red warning light on the dash, but thought, it'll be alright, not far to go.

However I made one huge error! Several more warning lights came on at the traffic lights. I was in the middle lane during rush hour.

For one second I thought it would make sense to turn the ignition on and off and see if all those horrid lights would go away. Unfortunately I did this before I thought about possible consequences and of course...the car wouldn't start again.

So here I was stuck at the lights with two under fives in the car and no mobile phone. I glanced around and saw that I was right next to the pub, so danced across the lanes to the pub leaving the kids locked in our little metal island.

I asked pitifully to borrow a phone to call the AA. They were fantastic in there. They lent me a phone, helped push the car 50 metres to the car park and let me bring my restless and hungry kids into the pub (so I bought them all a drink while we waited).

The AA man took us all to the garage which was shut, so we abandoned it there and he took us home.

We were sad to have missed the party, because Peter's pancake parties are almost legendary and the kids are at just the right age to start enjoying it.

Once home we had a mini pancake party with lemon and sugar pancakes. then I zipped them off to bed (at least 2 hours after bedtime).

This morning I got up early, found bike lights, pumped up tyres, found high-vis vest, bike locks, gloves and cycle helmet and cycled 7miles to work. I was surprised how easy the cycle was and how only my toes got cold!

The car is going to cost at least £500 and may not be ready today, so I may be cycling for a few more days!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Helen,
    I didn't know how else to get a hold of you since you are a "no-reply" blogger, so I am hoping this works!
    Thanks for letting me know that you tried one of my patterns. I would love it if you sent me a picture so I could add it to my blog.
    Hugs
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete